Re: debian web page

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:03:26PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:06:02PM +0100, Tak Kaneko wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've got Japanese IME installed on my PC and tried to view the Debian web
> > page using Internet Explorer. I keep getting Japanese as the default. Even
> > if I select the English option, the next page I download ends up being
> > Japanese...
> >
> You need to be careful. When selecting english, does it show 'en-us (or
> some other country variant)? If so, you need to make sure you select
> 'en' without a country code. See http://www.debian.org/intro/cn.en.html
> for an explanation.

I think you have misunderstood Tak's comment. When he said "I select the
English option", I think he was not referring to the multilanguage
configuration of the browser. He was saying that when he clicks on a link that
says "English" at the bottom of an html page, he gets an English page, but if
he follows any link on that page he gets Japanese again and not English as he
would expect it.

And please do not tell me once again that "the multilanguage feature can be
easily configured in every browser to make the Debian pages work as anyone
expects them to work". Let's face it, a lot of people never configure the
multilanguage feature of their browsers, and we will keep getting these kind
of bug reports over and over again, no matter how much we try to educate the
public about multiviews.

Cheers,
Jaime