Re: Bug(?!) in debian.org

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:13:48AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Jaime E . Villate <villate@fe.up.pt> [2001-10-18 08:19]:
> > If this had been translated rather as:
> >   "<P><A href="http://www.debian.org/index.es.html";>Debian</A> es un sistema
> >    operativo (SO) <A href="intro/free.es.html">libre</A>, para su computadora."
> >
> > one would end up getting Spanish pages, when following the links, regardless
> > of browser settings.
>
> .... and regardless of translation status, right.  This proposal makes
> it nearly impossible to maintain the pages, because for each new
> translated page one would have to scan through all the other pages if
> there are translations available.

Indeed all pages would have to be scanned, but I can't see why this makes
pages unmaintainable.

[...]
> > Even without changing anything in the translations, when
> > the html pages are build links like intro/free could be substituted by
> > intro/free.{LANG}.html, if that page exists.
>
>  Feel free to submit a patch to make this work.  Could sound
> interesting, but please remember:  Once there is a page not translated,
> you fall back to the english pages and will _stick_ with the english
> pages, unless you don't change to that in the english versions of the
> files.  It would be a counter-work against content negotiation, e.g. for
> people that have something like de,fr,en or such setups.

No, Jaime suggests to make changes only if translation exists, so if it
does not, content negotiation is performed just as today.

>  So your sugguestion might sound nice on the first glance, but would
> only work correct if _all_ the pages are translated - which they are not
> for even a single language.

I disagree, his suggestion would work if someone wanted to implement it ;)
Basically compilation would require 3 phases:
  a) wml --> html
  b) URLs substitutions in HTML pages
  c) installation of HTML pages
And when a translation is removed ar added, all pages of this language (and
only this one) have to be updated.

Denis