Re: Bug(?!) in debian.org

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:26:16PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Peter Junge <peter.junge@sun.com> [2001-10-16 14:53]:
> > generally it's a nice feature to come up with the i18n settings of the
> > OS. But after selecting a different language this should overrule the
> > script for the rest of the session. In the moment I'm using a Korean
>
>  That is not possible due to the fact that they are static pages, not
> dynamic ones.  And that won't change just due to this wish.

I disagree. You don't have to use dynamic pages to do that. Let's look for
instance to a portion of english/index.wml:
  "<P><A href="http://www.debian.org/";>Debian</A> is a
   <A href="intro/free">free</A> operating system (OS) for your computer."

And the equivalent portion in spanish/index.wml:
  "<P><A href="http://www.debian.org/";>Debian</A> es un sistema operativo
   (SO) <A href="intro/free">libre</A>, para su computadora."

If this had been translated rather as:
  "<P><A href="http://www.debian.org/index.es.html";>Debian</A> es un sistema
   operativo (SO) <A href="intro/free.es.html">libre</A>, para su computadora."

one would end up getting Spanish pages, when following the links, regardless
of browser settings. Even without changing anything in the translations, when
the html pages are build links like intro/free could be substituted by
intro/free.{LANG}.html, if that page exists.

That would be very helpful; sometimes I want to see how the site looks in
Spanish or Portuguese, without having to change the English default in the
browser.

Regards,
Jaime