Re: Bug(?!) in debian.org

Hi all,

i guess anybody who wrote me is on the debian-www list.

On 10/16/01, 8:26:16 PM, Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> wrote regarding Re:
Bug(?!) in debian.org:

> * Peter Junge <peter.junge@sun.com> [2001-10-16 14:53]:
> > generally it's a nice feature to come up with the i18n settings of the
> > OS. But after selecting a different language this should overrule the
> > script for the rest of the session. In the moment I'm using a Korean

>  That is not possible due to the fact that they are static pages, not
> dynamic ones.  And that won't change just due to this wish.

As somebody working on quality assurance I would always vote for hard
settings (choosing language by hand) should overrule soft settings
(scripts). But after a look on the HTML code you return I think I
understand what's happening. And now I agree that your way is the better
way because 'fixing' the issue would mean to return scripts and cookies
to the browser. (Or am I wrong?)

> > Linux but only for testing localized versions of StarOffice. Being a
> > native German i would like to browse your pages in German or English but
> > every link I follow falls back to Korean. OK, you might say, start a

>  So you are using StarOffice as your browser?

NO, i normally don't use StarOffice for browsing and I'm not gonna
recommend our browser to anybody else. (And I don't even think that I
gonna have a chat with my manager about it because I'm posting this on my
Sun account. ;-)

> Each web-Browser I've
> stumbled upon yet was able to set the languages the user wants -
> completely seperated from the locale settings.  Unfortunately it isn't
> documented on <http://www.debian.de/intro/cn.de.html> what to do with
> StarOffice, but you should get the idea - it should be in the
> Browser-Preferences.
> If you know how to change that within StarOffice it would be great if
> you could write something down for the pages to be added there - take
> the descriptions for the other browsers as a guideline for how you
> it should be.

I'm not working on internet related topics but AFAIK our browser is no
real browser but a graphical web page editor that can browse HTML up to
standard 3.2. The language settings are normally read from StarOffice
itself. Using any 32bit M$ Windows you can plug the IE installed on the
system, means settings are called from IE internet options.

> > console, change the locales and start the browser from there. But this
> > seems to be to complicated and there maybe also people in a alien
> > environment (e.g. an internet cafe in Seoul) who don't know how to
> > workaround.

>  Would only be possible with dynamic pages that parse the request uri,
> and that would just raise the load on the pages, for no gain.

Yes, I agree.

>  HTH,
> Alfie
> --
>  You never learn anything  |   /"""""\                   ,'~~.
>    by doing it right.      |  / chaos \  alfie.ist.org   |o ?~\
>            -- unknown      |  \inside!/  alfie@ist.org  /_   ~<\

Best regards, Peter