Re: events/materials/posters

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 03:56:56PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 06:04:30PM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > Can we move http://www.debian.org/events/materials/posters/ to ~akumria
> > > or something?
> >
> > It has been at http://people.debian.org/~akumria/posters/ ever since I made
> > it available. If you hadn't (so rudely) told of the existence of this URL
> > I would never have known.
>
> Uh, don't get offended already... I thought you _knew_ that Javier (jfs) had
> added those file to www.d.o.

My problem is the way it came across ...

> > > These posters are as uninteresting to the general public as 1997
> > > security advisories, but the latter aren't >40 MB...

Well, here is the summary:
negatives
	- the files are large (40Mb each)
	- few people look at them, print them
	- many (20+) mirrors have to have a copy of them

positives
	- you aren't dependant on some external (me) person
	to keep the link(s) the same, or have them continue to exist
	- these are print-ready (i.e. properly pantone matched); take .ps
	to professional printer, pay exorbitant cost, get nice poster.

decisions:
	- what size file is too large to be put into www-cvs?
	- what determines whether to merely link to an external site
	or to mirror it?

FWIW: I think keeping a copy of hard to find material is a good idea. The
posters, while hard to find, would be hard to replicate if they (or I)
disappeared.

A personal example is that I actually managed to find the original website
of the colour GNU and a nice large TuX (on valinux.com). Now both URLs are
404. Sigh.

Anand