Re: english/events/materials/posters - please explain!!

(sorry for the slow response time, my /var/spool/mail directory permissions
got broken for some 24 hours so I only traced this mail now)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 01:37:49PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > > The log message for all the files goes like this:

> > >  ... so, I'd like to know the real explenation for this
>
> > [...]
> > >  So - _please_ give a more meaningful description why this big files are
> > > needed
> >
> > I agree. Why exactly do we need all this _in CVS_?
>
> 	The commit, excuse me, does point to material.wml as to what
> are all those files running around. We already have binary files
> in the WML tree, however, I might have been stepped a little too much
> by putting them in CVS but since we currently generate the WWW tree
> from CVS sources I did not think scp'ing them to the WWW machine was
> the way to go.
> 	We do not have the sources for some (notably posters)  of this
> material since it was made using non-free stuff so we only have the final
> results (quite nice in most cases).

Well, is there any need for CVS? Will these things ever change, do they need
version control?

We can put them in www.debian.org without using CVS.

> > It could piss off a few web mirror admins because this is 51 MB of
> > junk^Wstuff that you introduced. And they would have every right to be
> > pissed off, since nobody prepared them for anything like this. 51 MB
> > is more than 11% increase BTW.
>
> 	Okay. These is an increse, but is an increase in quality IMHO.
> These kind of stuff is greatly needed when you put a booth and *should* be
> readily available not from people.debian.orf but from the main site.
> 	Are we going to limit the contents in our website depending on the
> web mirror's capacities? In any case,  I agree mirror admins should be
> informed of this (tell me the correct channels) and we should look into a
> way for mirrors to point back to the main site if they do not want to
> retrieve that much (maybe by publishing it only on the main site and using
> absolute links).

Well, any kind of warning would have sufficed. Just dumping 50 MB on them
isn't nice.

Note also that relatively small number of people set up Debian booths, so
this doesn't seem to be stuff that would be of interest to the general
public.

> 	In any case, if all other debian-www people think this shouldn't
> be on debian.org, by all means, remove it. I only dedicated this one of my
> vacation days and was up until 3 am yesterday to ensure that everything
> compiled/worked fine before commiting (not that there aren't any errors
> around though)

<shrug> I don't like to belittle anyone's work, but it does seem that a
bunch of static images don't belong to CVS.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.