xhtml

Please read entirely  before shouting :o)

One day or another we will switch to XHTML.
The main issue is with empty tags, they require a trailing slash.  With
the current WML (and there is no plan to change this soon, it would
imply a deep rewriting of wml_p2_mp4h), if source files have these
trailing slashes, one can request either HTML or XHTML output files.
But if they have an HTML syntax, as with Debian templates, only HTML
output is allowed because mp4h cannot parse empty tags, it will look for
unexisting endtag.

WML include files (e.g. /usr/lib/wml/include/std/tags.wml) adopted this
change one year ago, and I never got any bugreport on this.
This change is absolutely safe if it is done with care (of course,
broken changes are always possible).

So if you agree, I (or you) may add those trailing slashes within empty
tags whenever a template file is modified.  And when all templates are
updated, it would be quite easy to switch to XHTML when desired.

<strong>And meanwhile it would change absolutely nothing on output.</strong>
If you don't trust me, ask yourself why you did not notice that WML
include files did already include those trailing slashes ;o)

Regards

Denis