Re: html problem

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:24:04PM -0700, Andrew T. Young wrote:
> You seem to have a problem with the html on one of your servers.  When I
> select "Distribution" from the Debian homepage, and then the "complete
> list of packages" for the current distribution from the next page, and
> then search for a particular filename at the bottom of the page this
> brings up, and click on the "go to download page" button, I end up at
>
>      http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl
>
> which presents me with a list of servers to try.  When I select
> ftp.debian.org, I get a page full of gibberish as my browser (Netscape
> 2.01 running under Linux kernel 1.2.9) tries to interpret the binary file
> as text.  But if I select http.us.debian.org, I get the normal
> file-download window.

Yes, that is why the web page with the list of servers says:

   Note that in some browsers you will need to tell your browser you want the
   file saved to a file. For example, in Netscape you should hold the Shift
   key when you click on the URL.

I suggest you try that. (BTW that's an awfully old browser!)

> Evidently there is some difference in the html at these two servers; the
> one to use is at http.us.debian.org, and that version should replace what
> you have on ftp.debian.org.

Some servers are configured to recognize Debian packages as binary files,
some aren't, and it's not an easy task to get the latter fixed because they
aren't all under direct Debian control.