Re: Catalan initial commit

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, jordi@debian.org wrote:
> Okay, I have an initial catalan commit, but as it affects english/,
> I'd like people to have a look at the diff. I have tried building
> the website, but I don't see how that is done, so I don't know if
> these mods break up something.

Just install wml (apt-get) and run "make install" in webwml/
directory.  It creates debian.org/ in same directory where webwml is
and puts all all built files there in proper subdirectories of course.

> What should I do, commit and see if it breaks? Instructions of how
> to check if this builds would be really helpful.

Also you should translate some pages to catalan, such as front page
(also take a look at translation-check, see examples from some other
translations).  Documentations to how to do this is at
<URL:http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translating> in chapter
"Starting a new translation", try those and do some test builds.
After it seems good, you can commit it or send diff here.

But in short: you can't properly test your translation stuff unless
you translate also some .wml-files and do test builds with those.

Also I noticed in your diff that you had modified some other
translations too.  It is of course good to help other teams when you
can, but one commit should include only one logical change if
possible.  So it is better to commit those separated from catalan
stuff.  Also my comments from your diffs, I don't believe those can
break anything, but of course it is better to watch out.

And one thing about slices, please put catalan in alphabetical
(english is exception) place when others are in alphabetical order
too.  In some of tags slices are not in alphabetical order, but mostly
should be, and in the future propably all of them should be.

--
Tommi Vainikainen