Re: Debian favicon.icon

On Wed, May 23, 2001, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> My opinion is that you should not add that favicon.ico to the website, because
> the .ico format is proprietary of Microsoft. Adding the swirl in .ico format
> would be like adding a copy of the Debian Manifest in Word's .doc format :-)

 I like that point of view....

> Unfortunately the authors of Konqueror decided to use it.

 But, the authors of Konqueror were somewhat tricky: They made it
possible that the favicon.ico they are requestion doesn't nessesarily
have to be in the propietary MS-Format but can also be in the following
formats: ICO, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, etc. (according to [1]).  So I vote
for a PNG favicon to get the best out of it: GIF and BMP are just the
same propietary crap, JPEG is crap in that resolution.

 My 0.02 EUR,
Alfie
[1] <http://www.favicon.de/konqueror.html> - german, feed it to babelfish[2]
[2] <http://babelfish.altavista.com/>