Re: Debian favicon.icon

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:17:48AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Erik Tews <erik.tews@gmx.net> explained to me what favicon.ico
> is and where it is used.   Debian has none but it's requested
> quite often:
>
> grep favicon /var/log/apache/access.log|wc -l
>    4542
>
> In short, Erik also provided the swirl as favicon.ico.  I wonder
> if and how we (I?) should add it to the website?

My opinion is that you should not add that favicon.ico to the website, because
the .ico format is proprietary of Microsoft. Adding the swirl in .ico format
would be like adding a copy of the Debian Manifest in Word's .doc format :-)

What you could do, if you do not want a message in the error.log every time
Microsoft Explorer requests a "favicon.ico", is to create an empty
favicon.ico file.

That favicon.ico mechanism introduced by Microsoft is a bad idea with many
drawbacks. Unfortunately the authors of Konqueror decided to use it. But if we
start placing favicons everywhere to satisfy Konqueror's users, someday most
Linux sites will have a high number of files in a proprietary format.

Regards,
Jaime