Re: mirror/submit.wml

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:01:12PM +0200, peter karlsson wrote:
> Martin Schulze:
> > Really?
> Yes. I have never ever written a single </TD> or </TR> in a page, and
> all my pages work perfectly. (Of course I've stopped using tables for
> layout now, but I still have tables for content).

Netscape 4.x is buggy and will have problem when a nested table doesn't
have all the closing </TD> </TR> tags, so yes, adding them is
definitely better.  :-)

> > However, even if they're optional, we're trying to provide "good" HTML,
> > or not?
>
> Not having </TD> is not good HTML (IMHO). Not unless we're trying to do
> XHTML, which requires them.

It's better to be safe.  Also, it _might_ save some the browser some
time from parsing and guessing where the closing </TD> </TR> should be.
Also, it seems that everyone is heading towards XHTML and/or XML
eventually, so it is probably a good time to start changing our habits
now.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada