Re: Bad Package search engine

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 04:24:29PM +0200, Daniel Mashao wrote:
> The search engine for packages is faulty.
>
> I have long suspected that but today I was able to confirm it. For example
>
> a search on "diction words" using "Descriptions" option
>
> finds nothing. But a search on "words" finds many "dictionary words"
>
> This is not intiutive

diction != dictionary
so I see the behavior given as being completely intuitive.
As mentioned on the page, you can search on a subword by adding an
asterisk, '*', to the end of a word. Thus, you want to use
"diction* words".

I am currently talking with others about adding a checkbox to turn
subword matching on or off. I suspect this will make the issue
clearer for more users.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org