Re: Comment on translations [was Re: Wnpp.pl does not use tags]

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:34:12PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 07:49:29AM -0700, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > >
> 	I know there's a part of the website that is read more than the
> developer's pages. However:
>
> a)translation is a battle in many fronts. As you will see from the CVS logs,
> the spanish teamn (at least) translates all the pages, it is not focused on
> an area.

Just to clarify further, my earlier comments were not directed at the
spanish translation either, but at the translations in general.

> b) By translating the development documents, which might seem a
> contradiction since they are not user-oriented, you might get more
> spanish-speaking developers interested in Debian. The downside is that you
> get more translators working for Debian so you can translate even more
> areas.

More developers is always good. Especially if they help in i18n and l12n.

> > Would it help if the webmasters created a document which lists the
> > order we consider files should be translated?
> >
> 	I asked for such a document quite some time ago, WWW logs with a
> good log analysis tool should do IMHO. You do have to add, however, all the
> info from mirrors. It might be interesting to analyse this info and take
> some conclusions... like "users always leave our web pages after reading the
> boring whatever" or "after a user reads the DDP pages we have a lot of
> incorrect accesses to the CVS servers" :)

Since Debian has no budget for publicity, our website is the primary contact
most users have with us. This means that we need to make sure that we serve
newbies as well as possible. If someone isn't already using Debian, it is
unlikely they will become a developer. This is why I'd like to see
translations focus on user pages and only translate developer pages if they
have the resources.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org