Comment on translations [was Re: Wnpp.pl does not use tags]

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:31:35PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	I have received from a contributor a translation of devel/wnpp, he
> translated also the wnpp.pl file and I've noticed that it does not use tags.
> Is there any reason for it not to use them? Could it be changed to support
> tags?

This is may be an unpopular idea with some of you, but so be it.
Also note that this is not directred at you, Javier, but as a general
comment on translations.

I don't understand why so much time is spent translating developer
related material. Other than time spent internationalizing developer
docs that could better be spent elsewhere, I have no objection to
their translation. It is when I see much more widely read parts of
the website with out of date translations, while time is spent
localizing less widely read material (like developer documentation),
that I get frustrated.

Would it help if the webmasters created a document which lists the
order we consider files should be translated?

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org