Re: cdimage pages in wml

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:34:22PM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > > After a brief discussion with Marcin Owsiany who was going to convert
> > > http://cdimage.debian.org/ into WML files, I did it myself, with a little
> > > bit of scripting. (I'm assuming Marcin's idea has support amongst debian-cd
> > > members...)
> > >
> > > It's commited it to CVS at
> > > :(pserver|ext):(account|anonymous)@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/webwml, module
> > > cdimage. It uses template files from ../webwml which is the webwml module in
> > > the same CVS root -- that's for getting the navigation bar et al.
> >
> > Okay, I'm taking a look now. Hmmm.. I think there's something wrong, but since
> > I don't know anything about wml yet, I don't have a clue. Take a look at
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/test-cdimage.d.o/
> > (generated with just 'make').
>
> You need WML from testing/unstable... at least 2.0.3 IIRC.

Why do people think everyone is running unstable?! Especially for "production"
servers like www.d.o or cdimage.d.o this is not a good idea.

Well, it appears I've got 2.0.6 working now (this is not trivial), and the
result looks good.

One problem: cdimage.d.o does not do content negotiation, and even if it did
I'd refuse to use it[*]. So a reference to just "faq" won't work, it has to be
"faq.en.html". Is there any wml trick that can automagically add the
".<lang>.html" or do I have to hard-code it everywhere?

[*]: It does not work, period. Many browsers have incorrect settings
_per_default_, up to the point that I believe we're losing many Windows
converts because they simply can't read our webpages. I don't want to be
responsible for anything like that.

> BTW, would you mind if I renamed ch* files to something nicer? It's not
> really important, but it's easier to handle files that aren't so similarly
> named.

Well, if you have any good suggestion that increases manageability please tell
me. And remember that I'm mostly using mc(1) to work on stuff, so the names
should preferably have less than 16 and absolutely less than 37 characters
(which makes it quite hard to think of good descriptive names for ch21211 for
example).

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer