Re: update of the security page

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 04:23:32PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Michael Stone wrote:
> > The apt line is what I'm talking about. The structure of the security
> > site has changed for every release, and apt lines have not been
>
> If you want to keep it constant then commit to not changing it. There
> isn't any reason at all that you should have to keep making changes.

There has always been a valid reason for changing it. The last one
(slink->potato) was to split the single archive directory into
main,contrib,non-free. There are no further changes planned, but changes
are not outside the realm of possibility; remember, when we talk about
stability between releases we're talking about no changes for two years
from now just to cover woody. That's a long time in internet years. :)
Some things that could happen in the next two years, just off the top of
my head: the GR could pass and force us to handle non-free differently,
or package pools could make us rethink the handling of security updates.

--
Mike Stone