Re: give the lists.cfg file to the people [Re: Debian WWW CVS: tbm]

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 03:42:41AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > Modified files:
> > > 	english/MailingLists: subscribe.wml
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > Fixed broken link
> >
> > Actually this change will be reverted next time the list information is
> > updated, because this file is generated using the mklist scripts, from the
> > lists.cfg file. This file is needed for generating the (un)subscribe.wml
> > files which are on the web site, and for generating the mailing-lists.txt
> > file which is on the FTP site.
> >
> > Which brings up the .lists.cfg file ownership AGAIN. Listmasters, can we
> > PLEASE have this file in some rational location where both you, webmasters
>
> Sure.
>
> Right after the archive responsibilites stuff is worked out.

That's completely orthogonal. But hey, I'm all for clearing up everything
unclear.

> Why are there two archives?

There is one archive, it is used for making the HTML archive on the web
site. It is located in /org/lists.debian.org/ and subdirectories on
master.debian.org.

Then there is another archive, which I don't know anything about ;) It's in
~debian/lists/ directory on the same server.

I think there should be two archives for backup purposes; however then they
should not be stored on the same machine, for obvious reasons.

> Which one is authoritative?

Neither? :)

> Where is the documentation (if any) for the current setup.

The web archive is described in /org/lists.debian.org/README, it has been
since the creation of the directory.

No idea about the other one.

> Decide this and then we can start looking at other things.

As I said, this is completely orthogonal.

The web archive doesn't even use the lists.cfg file. ;o)

> The archive problem/question only bites us now and then - but it is
> far more serious that not having access to this file.

There's always geocrawler.com, openresources.com, maybe others... And the
private lists archiving hasn't been broken, to my knowledge.