Re: my first try on changing the design of web site front page

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 12:18:46AM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > It's very important the one keep the traditional colors for links and
> > followed links. See "Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design"
> > http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html, point #8:
> >
> >   8. Non-Standard Link Colors
> >
> >   Links to pages that have not been seen by the user are blue; links to
> >   previously seen pages are purple or red. Don't mess with these colors
> >   since the ability to understand what links have been followed is one
> >   of the few navigational aides that is standard in most web browsers.
> >   Consistency is key to teaching users what the link colors mean.
>
> I agree with this. We should play with these colors as little as possible. I
> specially hate webpages that use the same colour for visited and non-visited
> links, for example. Joy, what about working on a color layout given the
> traditional link colours?

That reduces the amount of possible color combinations. Which doesn't have
to be a problem, no, but still...

These days, sites use images, CSS or scripting for nearly everything; that
also has the effect that ?LINK settings don't affect their color. Maybe we
should use some of those techniques, as long as the site stays readable
under CLI browsers, of course.