Re: [nl223@cus.cam.ac.uk: copyright breakage]

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 12:06:39PM +1100, Craig Small wrote:
> I am not sure this is the right address for that. I hope you'll forward this
> info to whom it may concern. I recently looked for a set of CDs for Potato.
> I found that if most of the vendors listed on your CD vendors page sell the
> sources, bundled or at a separate set of CDs,  http://www.linux123.co.uk/
> do not provide ANY sources, clearly breaking the Debian copyright (and slaping
> the face of all the developpers from who they are making money).

The last sentence is a little convoluted, and I'm not sure I entirely
understand it. http://www.linux123.co.uk/ does not provide sources from
the webpage, but they could accompany the CD's with "a written offer,
valid for at least three years . . ." (GPL, section 3b). It's also not
particularly Debian's problem - it's upto someone whose GPL code is on
that disk, which may include a Debian developer (what all is
copyright SPI or Debian?), but may also be the FSF or Red Hat.

Frankly, I wouldn't start any witch hunts until (a) someone has bought
the disks and checked out that they aren't in compliance with the
licenses and then (b) somebody has made a polite request for them to
shape up.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.net.dhis.org