Re: time to remove all .gif from the site

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, gsacco@hsomail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 09:13:25AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
>> Does netscape understand transparency yet?
>
> Not for PNG, yes for GIF.

And to add, even Mozilla does not support alpha in PNGs very well. It
tries to support alpha channel, but there is small difference in
colour shade. (Tested with M16 under Debian, don't know about Windows,
but it maybe better supported there.)

But I would still vote to replace gifs with pngs, because it would
make pngs more popular and thus would raise priority of png support in
browser development. Now there is chicken and egg problem with png
support. Most browser can show pngs without transparency and this is
enough for most people. (And of course there is ALT attribute for
browser not supporting pngs.)

--
Tommi Vainikainen