Re: debian.org web pages [was 'Re: volunteer']

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 11:10:38PM -0500, w trillich wrote:
> > Getting a new search engine is something that should be highly prioritized,
> > yes. However, I don't see the need for having entry fields on all pages,
> > especially since we have the "Search" link on each page.
>
> ...which brings up a page telling about the fact that there's
> no search facility.
>
> offering a link to a fancy search page for the impatient experts
> is a good idea, as is done now. offering a search field for
> impatient newbies is a good idea for helping them get up to speed
> without looking for which link to click to get to a search page.
A search engine is coming but it will require some upgrading on one of
the Debian hosts (VA I think) that the Debian admins quite sensibly  do not
want to do during a freeze.

It's on my list of things to do, and it will get done.

> > These are linked, but not directly from the front page. All links can't go
> > on the first page, or else it will take forever to download.
>
> i'm interested in making the debian.org website more conducive
> to getting the newbie up to speed. i've been climbing uphill for
> a while and i see more new folk every week adding their layer
Why not have a newbie page then?

> let's make it easier on the newbies and watch our rank & file
> grow exponentially!
I agree with this general idea.

What can help is things like the FAQoMAtic, but they need to be kept
current.  Have you seen PHPs manual with the user supplied comments?
That is quite useful too.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>