Re: Debian WWW CVS: gecko

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:27:02PM +0800, Anthony Wong wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 06:06:29AM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> |No, WML files can be in their own encodings.  The generated .html is what
> |needs to be in UTF-8; conversion from any other encoding is automizable
> |so the daily make (or the wml program) can do it.
>
> Ah sorry, I think I was not clear on what I was saying. Actually my point is
> the same as yours: convert the output that we got from processing the WML
> files to UTF-8, or do a conversion on the WML files and then feed it to wml,
> leaving the original WML files intact.
> Any known issues on using UTF-8 in HTML? Obviously there are not many sites
> that use it.

If we decide to do this we should test it on a few pages first to see what
happens. Anyone willing to try this? devel/index.wml might be a good one
to test since people looking at that will be more likely to have a clue.

We just need to be prepared to get a lot of complaints if it doesn't work
and switch it back quickly.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org