Re: Debian WWW CVS: gecko

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 09:49:04PM -0700, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
> CVSROOT:	/cvs/webwml
> Module name:	webwml
> Changes by:	gecko	99/10/28 21:49:03
>
> Modified files:
> 	english/template/debian: language_names.wml languages.wml
>
> Log message:
> Each language is represented in it's own tongue.
>

> --

Webmaster gets a number of people who get "the wrong language".. most of
those people say the same thing, "It'd be nice having a link back to the
<native language> pages".  See.. a person that doesn't read Japanese or
French isn't necessarily helped in trying to find their Swedish or German
pages when the language name is displayed in Japanese or French.

Well, I just commited changes to the "language" routines.  Now, instead of
translating a language into the same language as the page.. the language
names show up translated to that language on all pages... German is
"Deutsch" on every page, now.

I know that some people (like those in the US) will get garbage for some
language names (like Japanese) but it should be obvious (with the
"available in other languages text" in their languate) whats' going on
there...

I've saved the old pages incase this doesn't work or is undesirable