Re: Installing the Chinese web pages

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 09:36:47PM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> Asked before but it's no problem answering again.. they're not all that
> frequently asked...

Thanks!  :-)

> >  1. How often is the Makefile run?
> Once a day, right after the dinstall run.  You can get the date of last run
> by checking this url:  http://www.debian.org/mirror/timestamps/  master is
> the time of last make run and va is the time of last mirror.

Ah, I see.  Thanks!  BTW, how long does a wml run take?  If it doesn't
take too long (e.g. less than 5 or 10 minutes), could it be run more
than once a day?  :-)  (something like once every 2 or 3 hours would
be nice if it doesn't take up too much resource).
(Of course, this just applies to master and va.  Other mirror sites
don't have to update their mirrors that often.  :-)

Oh, another thing... is there a way to get master to do a "make cleandest"
run, maybe just for a language subdirectory when required?
e.g. I moved /chinese.zh-??.html to chinese/index.zh-??.html, but the
old files seems to be there still.

> >  2. Is wml installed on va or another machine?
> >     (Last time I checked, I couldn't find it on va.)
> The CVS archive is on cvs.d.o (which is va) but the source is compiled on
> master...

I see.  :-)

> There is a "test" url at http://cgi.debian.org/www-master/debian.org/

Thanks!  :-)

> There is a script that can be used to build the whole tree... none,
> however, to build just one section or language.  What most of us do is
> install wml and apache on our own machines and browse that way.

Yes, I have been doing that already (local wml 1.6.8 and Apache with
content-negotiation set up).  :-)

> >  4. Is  http://www.debian.org/chinese/   (index.??.html) a good place
> >     to put our Debian Chinese Project Home Page?  If not, what place
> >     would you suggest?  http://www.debian.org/$(somesubdir)/chinese/ ?
> >     http://www.debian.org/~$(maintainer)/chinese/ ?  Or elsewhere?
> If I understand what's going on.. I'd probably do
> http://www.d.o/translations/chinese/*  assuming you want this mirrored and
> translated...

Yes, but most likely only an English translation of the Debian Chinese
Project page.  But then, if other language teams are interested,
feel free to translate it to other languages too.  :-)
Note that the page is currently under constructions, so it may
go through quite a few major changes though.

Yes, something like http://www.d.o/translations/chinese/ would be nice.
I would prefer a different name rather than "translations" though,
because the Debian Chinese Project is not merely a translation project.

I wonder if other i18n/l10n teams are interested to have something similar?
:-)  http://www.d.o/???/french/  (or franc,ais), etc. etc.

> minor fixes, go for it.
> major changes, go for it but it might be a good idea to post an intent here
> on -www first.... There might be something else like that in the works..
> well.. for all the same reasons we do the "intent to package" messages

Thank you very much for your clear explanations.  :-)

Anthony