Re: Web server is really good, but can't email webmaster

Alex Perry wrote:
> I originally tried to send this message to the Webmaster.
>
> <csmall@scooter.o.i.net>:
> CNAME lookup failed temporarily. (#4.4.3)
> I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

This only reflects one webmaster, there is half a dozen of them.
It is a temporary failure, the address is correct, afaict.

> Perhaps someone could deliver the error report to
> the maintainers of the redirector list on master.debian.org
> and/or forward my _minor_ comments to the webmaster?

Please direct your input to debian-www@lists.debian.org.  The webmasters
are reading there as well as other people who are interested in
the Debian web site.

> I may not have mentioned this before, but the whole
> web server is well organised and is among the most
> responsive I've found on the internet.
>
> (1) Are you maintaining the 'nocache' tags correctly,
> so that I can have my machine locally cache the site
> and reduce loading on static pages in the usual way ?

Please define "correctly".

> (2) What really slows the whole site is when I hit the
> 'search' feature.  I almost dread using it, partly
> because it tends not to find what I'm looking for.

cgi.debian.org is a different machine.

> (4) Is there some way to browse the man pages on the site?
> If there is, I haven't found it.  It would be useful to read
> the man pages in a package before I install it...

You could try http://site/cgi-bin/dwww, iirc this is the way to
access documentation through dwww.

Regards,

	Joey

--
If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country.
	-- motd of irc.funet.fi