Re: translating into Russian

On Tuesday, November 10, D'jinnie wrote
> Hi - I'm trying to coordinate a Russian translation (if anyone wants to
> volunteer, feel free :). I'm running into a bit of a problem - namely,
> should terms like Debian, Linux, etc be transliterated or kept in English
> characters? As far as I can tell, only Japanese version is not based on
> Roman characters - unfortunately I don't know how to read Japanese as of
> yet and can't locate the pages anyway...this may seem like a silly
> problem, but really, it's not :) I think that either way would work, but
> would like some input....

If it helps, the Debian/JP people (http://www.debian.or.jp) do not
transliterate "Debian", "Linux", etc. And personally, I'd also tend to say
"leave them in roman characters"... especially if there isn't a one-to-one
mapping between the cyrillic and roman alphabets. (Yes, I know absolutely
nothing abour Russian.)

  Christian