Re: http://www.debian.org/social_contract changes

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 11:24:50AM -0500, Nils Lohner wrote:

Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but the social contract was approved
as is, so we really should at least mention any suggested changes
on debian-devel.

> I'd like a few changes to this page.  I'll go through them one at a time,
> and justify them as well.
>

> . "We are Software In The Public Interest, producers of the Debian GNU/Linux
> system. This is the "social contract" we offer to
> the free software community."
>
> This needs to be changed to 'We are Debian, ...' or something similar.
> Debian != SPI, but Debian is affiliated with SPI.  Also, name the soclail
> contract explicitly.  That makes it sound more official.  How about:
>
> "We are Debian, the producers of the Debian GNU/Linux system. This is the
> 'Debian Social Contract' which is a set of commitments that we offer to the
> free software community."
>
> . Split this page into three pages, a page stating what the social contract
> and DFSG are, and then one page for each of the documents.  This is
> important because it establishes each as a separate document, and also
> because as Open Source grows we want to be able to point people explicitly
> and directly to the DFSG.  [I know that this will take a lot of redoing of
> links to the DFSG, but I think that it it important to split the pages...
> sorry!]

Splitting the page in three isn't a problem as it doesn't change the content.
BTW, many links already point directly to the DFSG: social_contract#guidelines
Do you still want the split done?

> . Please add (to the page for the social contract and the DFSG) a notice at
> the bottom stating that
> "Other organizations to derive from and build on this document.
> Please give credit to the Debian project if you do."
> This is a request from Bruce Perens, the author of the documents.
> Apparently this used to be on the page, but disappeared at some point during
> the rewrite.

This also needs no approval and is already done.

I'm curious about the statement 'this used to be on the page' as the text
currently on the page is exactly what Bruce requested. Oh well.

BTW, the text added is actually:
  Other organizations may derive from and build on this document.
  Please give credit to the Debian project if you do.

Jay Treacy