Re: Project for someone with time and will: website update

On 28 April 2011 17:47, Karolina Kalic <karolina@resenje.org> wrote:
> Sorry for the late response, I was without the Internet for a couple of
> days.
>
> I don' t think that help from a man would be a bad thing. Because we want to
> attract more women in Debian and there are men who want that too. I would
> make the site myself, but at the moment I don' t know how. And I already am
> involved in Debian, and I intend to be here for a long time. If a good site
> made by a man attracts more women, I don' t see the problem. Someone
> mentioned that we should make a meeting about this, and I think it is a good
> idea.

I'm not particularly worried about men helping out in d-w projects in
general.  After
all, the d-w mentoring scheme wouldn't be where it is without the help
of many male
mentors.

However, as one of the many females in the group who has the skill required
to build a site from scratch and the skill to figure out what I need
to know to get a
web based project done, I can't begin to express how strongly I am opposed to
any idea of a man taking on our website.  I'll be honest here and
point out from
my viewpoint it would be good to have d-w's part of the debian.org website as
part of my web-based portfolio.  I hope this gives some idea to the strength of
my opposition.

> As for the Django, it is only a tool for making good system that would be
> easy to manage and upgrade and to add new features if needed. You can make
> simple sites as well as complicated with it. My site,
> http://www.karolina.in.rs, is made with Django. It is very simple and
> functional, and I guarantee is easy to maintain.

Django has been around for a while now and I would assume it is
stable.  However, I would again oppose using Django and ignoring
the recently completed effort to move the main Debian project site
to ikiwiki.

I would most certainly rather see the d-w site as part fo the main
debian.org site, not some other new design that still makes it look
completely isolated from the main Debian project.

For those already contributing to the main Debian project, the ikiwiki
provides a familiar platform in which to update the d-w site. Adding
to a Django site would simply mean another set of tasks for
d-w web site contributors to learn.

Why should we make it harder on ourselves just so some bloke(!) can
get the kudos of having built a website for part of the Debian project?

--
Kind  Regards

Lesley Binks