Re: Questions and comments regarding Debian Women

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Margarita Manterola wrote:

2011/4/25 Mònica Ramírez <monica@probeta.net>:
About becoming a DD, I'm not trying to be a DD for two reasons: the
first one is that I don't feel sure enough with the required skills,

I think this is a common issue for us women. The geek feminism wiki
names this the "Impostor Syndrome" [1].  I guess most of us have felt
it at some point.  And it's important to fight it when you realize you
are suffering from it.

[1]:  http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

the second reason is that I'm only maintaining a few packages.

I checked your qa page [2], and it says that you currently maintain 4
packages.  Even though this is fairly recent, you might consider
applying to be a Debian Maintainer [3] soon.

[2]: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=monica@probeta.net
[3]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer

4 packages is 4 more packages than I have ever built and I am a DD. Under the non packaging clause and so on but still. Having provided thoughts and things to the project for some years and then the project offered me to have the voting rights I just couldn't resist.

Don't underexstimate your skills, they are there and the process is not constructed to make you feel like you are dumb, rather the opposite - show your talent and for the project to know that you have the ins and outs that are /necessary/. All the extras are just a bonus for us.

(Just adding, avoid follow ups.)
--
/brother
http://martin.bagge.nu