Re: Apropos of spam..

2008/10/10 Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org>:
> I don't have any great marvellous ideas on how to achieve this (to
> make more women attracted to the idea of cooperating with Debian's
> development), and I really don't think the most important problems we
> might face in this regard are Debian-specific in any way, but that
> they depend instead on the way society is structured, education,
> expectations put on women, and the patriarchy in general.

Do you ever wonder if it's in fact a problem that needs to be fixed at
all? Maybe it's true that no matter how much encouragement and
positive gender roles you give to girls for nerdy subjects like
computers or technology, they just have a natural predisposition to
not be attracted to them.

I sometimes wonder why nobody seems to be in a rush to encourage more
boys to knit, bake cookies, or take up sewing.

I mean, ok, I kinda get it: it's not exactly symmetrical, because
being able to control computers well is a skill that gives you lots of
other forms of control in this society, as do sciences and
mathematics, whereas knitting or baking doesn't give you that kind of
"control" except within your close friends or family.

I think that... well, I probably think too much about this. :-)

- Jordi G. H.