Re: DW quotes

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:48:33PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > also sprach Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> [2005.06.17.1202 +0200]:
> > >  That's how IRC for the masses devolve, you know.  When the
> > >  strings "asl" or "r u horny" appear frequently, the true adults
> > >  will feel awkward.
> >
> > Uh, I'd say the true grownups should be able to just ignore that.
>
> That's one of the main entry barriers I see for women. We're always required
> to be more mature, more grownups, to be able to ignore everything, to keep
> calm, not to reply. That's something usually boys do not need to have when
> approaching free software world. That obviously makes far less women want to
> join this world, it's quite understandable.

Guys have to ignore women complaining about how awful it is that
people are aware they're women, and to not be bothered by being
continually derided and bitched at for daring to be male, all because
somewhere there existed at least one jerk who has at some point
offended whatever woman you're dealing with today.

But realistically, all that is fairly minor compared to the number of
idiot users, idiot developers, kooks, luddites, zealots, managers,
politicians, and self-obsessed fools that everybody has to deal with
in the free software world.

> I don't wanna have to constantly be on guard, to be prepared to ignore trolls,
> to be able to cope with sexual or sexist attacks and so on. Boys do not have
> to cope with all that.

Bull. People who don't have to cope with all that are people who
aren't involved in Debian, or any other free software development
project. The only variable is the subject matter.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |