Re: Sexist Behaviour in Debian Women

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:07:57AM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>  --- Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> escribió:
> > In a group nominally established in recognition of
> > the fact that women are
> > under-represented in Debian and with the goal of
> > increasing the roles of
> > women in Debian, I don't think it's the attitudes of
> > long-time active Debian
> > contributors that were causing problems in this
> > case. :P

> I don't think that copying here some of the things
> that were said yesterday out of their context helps
> much to calm things down.

What context did I omit that you think justifies the comments that I did
quote?  What possible context was there that supports Carla's claim that she
was responding to obnoxious attitudes in a non-sexist, topic-neutral way?

Being "calm" does nothing to address the inappropriate behavior that I saw
in my scrollback when my attention was called to it.  Or does the group
encourage a double-standard, and inappropriate behavior is only called out
when it's perpetrated by men?

I am not defending everything that Manoj said in that discussion; he's very
good at being a party to turning discussions in the most inflammatory
direction possible.  But it takes *two* sides to escalate.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer