Re: sexist language in debian instructions/documentation

Am 2004-08-02 20:28:01, schrieb Helen Faulkner:

> Hello everyone,
>
> So I've spent most of today battling my way through the New Maintainers
> Guide, trying to work out how to package some very simple things.  I
> *think* I'm making headway...
>
> I've been reading various pieces of documentation/policy/guidelines in
> my travels, and I keep finding things like this, from
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-advocate:
>
> "There is a checklist of what a NM has to do. Basically, he needs a GPG

he  =  The NewMaintainer

> key signed by a developer, he has to answer some Philosophy and

he  =  The NewMaintainer

> Procedures questions and in the Tasks and Skills test he has to show

he  =  The NewMaintainer

> that he has the experience to be a good Debian developer.

he  = The NewMaintainer

> You should advocate someone when you think that he is ready to be a

he  = The NewMaintainer

> developer -- when he has the required skills and when he has been

he  =  The NewMaintainer

> involved with the project for some time. Just ask yourself if you want
> to see him in Debian -- if you think he should be a Debian developer

him  =  The NewMaintainer
he  =  The NewMaintainer

> then go ahead and recommend him.

him  =  The NewMaintainer

> The exact steps are like this: you agree with a prospective developer to
> recommend him and he signs up. Then you have to go to this site, click

him  =  The NewMaintainer
he  =  The NewMaintainer

> on his name in the listing of applicants, go to the "advocate this

his  =  The NewMaintainer

> application" page, put in your Debian login and press the 'submit'
> button. You will then receive an e-mail with an auth key which you have
> to return GPG/PGP signed. When this is done, the prospective developer
> will get an AM assigned who goes through the NM steps with him."

him  =  The NewMaintainer

> Count the "he"s.  I get 13.  This doesn't seem to be, based on the stuff
> I've been flicking through, particularly unusual.  And people wonder why
> women find debian unfriendly to them!  It's certainly discouraging to me.

Is there a FEMALE version of "NewMaintainer"

Do you want to rewite it ?
Like:

  ____ ( 'stdin' ) _____________________________________________________
 /
|  "There is a checklist of what a NM has to do. Basically, the NM
|  needs a GPG key signed by a developer, the NM has to answer some
|  Philosophy and Procedures questions and in the Tasks and Skills test
|  the NM has to show that the NM he has the experience to be a good
|  Debian developer. You should advocate someone when you think that
|  the NM is ready to be a developer -- when the NM has the required
|  skills and when th NM has been involved with the project for some
|  time. Just ask yourself if you want to see the NM in Debian -- if
|  you think the NM should be a Debian developer then go ahead and
|  recommend the NM. The exact steps are like this: you agree with a
|  prospective developer to recommend the NM and the NM signs up. Then
|  you have to go to this site, click on the NM name in the listing of
|  applicants, go to the "advocate this application" page, put in your
|  Debian login and press the 'submit' button. You will then receive
|  an e-mail with an auth key which you have to return GPG/PGP signed.
|  When this is done, the prospective developer will get an AM assigned
|  who goes through the NM steps with th NM."
 \______________________________________________________________________

Can you be happy with it ?

I think, it is brandamaged...

> I'm sure that this is not _intended_ to be unfriendly, or even sexist.
> Maybe the people who wrote it, don't even realise why using such
> language is a problem.  But it can't be that hard to automatically go
> through the webpages, search for occurances of "he" and change them into
> "she/he", and change "him" into "him/her" etc.  Does anyone on this
> mailing list doubt that such things do matter?
>
> What can we do to get this sort of thing fixed?  Preferably quickly :)
> I am happy to write to people personally and ask that they fix up such
> language when I see it, especially if anyone can suggest who to write
> to.  But maybe there is a better way to approach the problem.
>
> Helen.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi