Re: PHP Policy Draft: API version

hi olly,

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:06:20PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> I think I've discovered why the versions mismatch:

aha, very informative, thanks :)

> So PHP_API_VERSION is the "PHP Api Version" (unsuprisingly).  The
> version number on the directory is the Zend Extension Api No (minus
> the leading 2 in PHP5 - I guess that's to differentiate between PHP4 and
> PHP5 and so isn't needed on the extension dir as that's in the
> /usr/lib/phpN prefix.)
>
> So I think the current draft is confused as to which API is relevant
> here and should indeed use "php-configN --extension-dir".

yes, perhaps we should add something to clarify this.  in the meantime
i've at least changed the specific section to mention using
php-configN instead of the ugly sed stuff.

> While I'm here, is there an existing PHP binary module whose packaging
> conforms to current "best practice" which I can use as a guide?  If
> there's a better place to ask, please point me there...

i think this question may have been answered for you already, but i'd
just like to add a suggestion that in addition to attempting to
follow the draft and other peoples' packages, you also keep
a critical eye to what you and others are doing (as well as what the
draft says), and if you see anything that doesn't seem right, bring it
up here.

	sean