Re: [all candidates] Removing or limiting DD rights?

On 03/29/2013 01:46 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:35:59PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
>> I'm open to other theories as to the cause.  I am, however, a bit surprised
>> that you'd completely dismiss the theory I've proposed so quickly.
>> let you know that I regularly bump into users in Debian IRC channels saying
>> things such as "I need to be involved in another bug report like I need a hole
>> in the head."  I take that as a clear signal that there's a problem.
>
> Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that bug report handling is not
> something we should look into improving. It's the causation relationship
> between that and the decreasing number of bug reports which seems
> unlikely to me. I'll be totally happy to reconsider that and I'm
> generally very open to reconsider my positions. But I do think that we
> need some concrete, scientific evidence, to prove causation in this
> case, and I've yet to see some of it.

Do we need to scientifically prove causation here?  Chris is raising a
good point, and a perception of hostile responses to a bug reports seems
entirely plausible as a contributing factor to a decline in bug reports.
 It certainly wouldn't account for an increase in bug reports (i suspect
the set of socially-masochistic users is a vanishingly small one :P )

For that matter, I haven't seen any concrete, scientific evidence to
support zack's suggestion that derivative distributions are siphoning
off our bug reports.  While it seems potentially a plausible
contributing factor to me, i could also see an argument that the more
derivative distros we support, the *more* bug reports we should get.
(e.g. because all the downstream devs are upstreaming their reports and
fixes back to debian, like we want them to, right?)

These are not mutually-exclusive explanations, either, and there is no
single, simple cause for outcomes like a decline in the number of bug
reports.  I don't think that demanding "concrete, scientific evidence"
is a reasonable bar for just considering what "might be one explanation
for the steady drop in new bug reports" (chris's original words).

	--dkg