Re: [all candidates] Return to the desert island (cont.)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:27:58AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> You can use flashplugin-nonfree to download a piece of software that has
> a nonfree license, which is then installed on your system; the result is
> that you now have a system which has some non-DFSG-free software
> installed. To be able to reach this situation on a system that only has
> "main" enabled would be utterly wrong.
>
> You can use pidgin-facebookchat to talk to a non-free service; but
> whatever you do, the result will *never* be that you end up with a
> system which has some non-DFSG-free software installed. As such, I don't
> think it's necessary that you not be able to reach this on a system that
> only has "main" enabled.

OK, you seem to draw the line where non-free is installed or not on the local
system.  That makes somewhat sense to me.  But then the part "which require
software outside of the distribution to either build or function" in
debian-policy should be replaced by something like "which causes software
outside of the distribution to be installed on the local system".

Regards,

Bart Martens