[all candidates] discussions in -devel

Dear candidates,

In the words of Lars [*]:

    We're not very good at dealing with situations where a few individuals
    are dominating the discussion by being loud, insistent, and unwilling to budge
    or to give any credence to opposing views. I don't know what to do about that,
    but we clearly need social and possibly technical tools for this.

According to Lars, behind the scenes diplomacy is not sustainable. It seems to
me that the only way to solve this issue effectively is to make trolling
harder (requiring more effort) than ending it.

Our usual approach of darwinism (whereby a single hacker's solution gets
gradually adopted) does not work here because any attempted solution (social,
technical or both) requires some kind of upfront policy change (and, for
technical measures, some kind of infra change).

How do you propose that we go about dealing with this issue, keeping in mind
that it's imposs^Wchallenging to get to consensus about non-technical and
potentially controversial policy (moderation) changes?

[*] http://blog.liw.fi/posts/diplomacy/
    http://blog.liw.fi/posts/discussion-what-works-or-not/

--
Every great idea is worthless without someone to do the work. --Neil Williams