Re: [all candidates] lack of women in Debian

Hi,

On 18/03/13 at 11:23 +0100, Mònica Ramírez Arceda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know your opinion about this graph (thanks Francesca!):
> http://blog.zouish.org/posts/dw/
>
> Note that I'm not asking for a way to recruit women (there are already
> efforts on that). I would like to know if you think that this lack of
> women affects (or not) the Debian project and how.

This graph is a very interesting one. As some of my past actions in
Debian have shown, I like data and statistics, especially when they
allow one to measure success, failure or progress, or say something
about the project that we previously didn't know.
Regarding the data itself, it's great to see that the situation is
generally improving, even if, of course, we would like it to be faster.
It's true that it's a bit disappointing compared to the data from other
projects (e.g. GNOME).

Your question is very specific (impact of lack of women in Debian?).

Yes, it's very likely that the "deficit" of women involved in Debian has
a negative impact. As Moray pointed out, research shows more women
generally results in better results in organizations.
But it's also about how we see our project. I would like Debian to be
a very welcoming project, and I hate the fact that it's harder for some
groups to get involved. So, yes, we should ensure that we work on the
"blockers" of our project regarding integration of women, and also
balance them by easing integration of women through specific actions,
such as Debian Women.

Note that this is not limited to women. We have other populations that
are very much under-represented in Debian if you compare their number to
the world population, or even to people in IT jobs.

> I also would like to know if you have any proposal related to this topic
> that you would like to do if elected.

One thing I would like to do, if elected, is to push for participation
in the https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen.

Lucas