Re: Your opinion on Debian Maintainer status

On 2013-03-17 14:50, Moray Allan wrote:
On 2013-03-17 00:13, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
while reviewing the vote that introduced the Debian Maintainer status in 2007 (http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003_tally.txt) I noticed
that Lucas voted in favor and that Moray voted against it.
Moray, why did you vote against?
I'll follow up to explain this soon, but I need to check a couple of
things, in case I'm misremembering details from 2007.

Part 2 of the full-disclosure answer:

Does that still hold or did you change your mind in between?
To all, what's your opinion on the DM status? Has it been effective?

I am glad to have all the DMs as Debian contributors, and am happy to have helped a few on their way to DM status.

But I still wonder if they should be automatically given project membership if we trust them to have the technical rights of the DM status, or should at least have a very easy fast-track to becoming members, rather than, as too often currently, being discouraged from becoming members.

While aj's original proposal
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/03/msg00074.html
left open the possibility that DMs might be allowed to vote, i.e. project members, that's never been taken up (perhaps because one of the arguments used most strongly by the GR proposers was that some people genuinely didn't want DD status). In fact we've moved in the opposite direction.

I am not happy that:

- People have gone for DM status because it's easier to get, but then not gone on to become project members, in many more cases than because they actively don't want to have full rights.

- People have been told not to become project members but to be happy with DM status, if they don't strictly need the full technical rights that currently come with being a member.

Nor am I happy that, though it's comparatively less of a worry to me compared to those two:

- People are regularly told that they should get DM status before applying for NM.

The original GR said,

"- Applicants in the n-m queue may choose to apply to be a Debian maintainer while finishing their application or waiting for it to be accepted." (I.e. it was taken for granted that people can enter the membership process first, and become a DM in the interim if that takes a while.)

and

"- Individuals may apply to the n-m process, and pass through it without becoming a Debian maintainer at any point." (I.e. no one would be forced to become a DM before entering the membership process.)

While those statements were guaranteed there only as initial conditions, introducing DM status as a prerequisite for, or instead of, entering the NM process, and telling people to be happy with DM and not become project members, seem much greater changes to me than the original introduction of DM status, and I'm not happy that this seems to have happened without a wide discussion, and in fact with many members being unaware of the changes.

--
Moray