Re: not being elected?

On 2013-03-17 07:19, Paul Wise wrote:
What do you plan to work on if you are not elected?

If I am not elected, then by default almost all my Debian time would continue to be taken up by DebConf work.

However, after setting out my my ideas about Debian teams more clearly for my platform, I wonder if even in that case I should set an example by retiring from heavy DebConf work before I suffer burn-out, or should at least take a break from it. While I might gain then more time for other Debian topics, my overall time allocation to Debian would be likely to reduce, unless I agreed to take up another specific Debian role immediately. (This is a specific case of some of the issues I mention in my "Delegations and teams" section.)

Will not being elected de-motivate you?

In many ways, not being elected would be a relief. I'd have more time to put into non-Debian parts of my life.

However, if I am not elected, I would see that as a lack of agreement with my proposals, or at least a lack of interest in them, and I would be "de-motivated" from pushing those topics further against the apparent view of the project.

Will you work on the things in your platform even if you are not
elected? Most of the things mentioned there are not DPL specific tasks.

I think most of my core ideas would be very difficult for me to advance if I am not elected, because they are coordination-level tasks for which I would have no mandate, and because they specifically relate to the DPL's powers.

A few examples from my platform:

- Agreeing additional topics, in particular communication plans and turnover plans, as required part of delegation documents and for other teams - Pushing more topics out from the DPL to delegates, and towards more public communications - Ensuring that good speakers are authorised/have recognised roles to represent Debian, and doing it myself as required - Making sure that "official" communications can happen with company representatives and governmental organisations where appropriate - Encouraging more Debian local groups and agreeing a framework for this - Starting more active and transparent budget planning for Debian before money is spent, more active fundraising to allow the plans, and avoiding having major spending happen merely by DPL edict - Moving/merging some DebConf teams to become general Debian ones, with approriate delegates as required.

If I am not elected, I would lack both the DPL's constitutional powers and the greater influence that comes from being elected. If I tried to push the list of items in my platform without being elected, I think it would look like I was trying to set up some kind of parallel government for Debian, and people would quite fairly be very resistant to me pushing these things without a mandate, or indeed view them as already having been voted down.

--
Moray