Re: Your opinion on Debian Maintainer status

Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> writes:

> On 17.03.2013 00:01, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> We have close to two hundred entries in the debian-maintainers-keyring,
>> that's a respectable number, which reaffirms my recentish change of
>> heart, that the DM status is a good thing, and while it does not solve
>> all problems, it is, nevertheless, a useful thing to have.
>
> although I'm deliberately ignoring all the good reasons you provided,
> JFTR, many people feel obliged to become DM these days before applying
> as a DD and even many DDs understand the DM concept as a probation to
> test potential NM candidates.
>
> In fact, even the wiki says "Becoming a Debian Developer: You should be
> a Debian Maintainer for six months before applying to the Debian New
> Member Process" [1]. That's somewhat different to the original idea of
> the DM status and not really a direction we should endorse.
>
> Thus, the sheer number of DMs is not a really a resilient number per se,
> although I agree that the DM status itself is a good procedure.

Indeed, the number alone is of little value, it is merely one of the
data points.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you too. One of the reasons it took me so
long to change my opinion on the whole DM status was those few lines
from the wiki you quoted. (It delayed my return to Debian by at least
half a year - whether that's a good thing or bad is to be decided by my
dear readers.)

Thank you, for reminding me of that. I haven't looked at that page since
I re-applied, and almost forgot those words. We really should reconsider
that paragraph, and preferably kill it with fire (post-wheezy, of
course).