Re: [all candidates] on distribution-wide changes and scalability

Hi,

On 15/03/13 at 19:41 +0300, Moray Allan wrote:
> In my platform I suggested that we might make distribution-wide
> changes quicker by more vocally authorising NMUs to help with
> changeovers.

The current NMU guidelines[1] discourage fixing cosmetic issues or
changing the packaging style in an NMU.  The reason for that is that
such changes are often a matter of taste (though there are exceptions,
such as the standardization of debian/control fields - going from
X-Vcs-* to Vcs-*).

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#nmu

Could you give examples of specific distribution-wide changes that you
think we should authorize via NMUs?

For example, would that apply to debhelper -> dh conversions? To 1.0 ->
3.0 (quilt)?

You also missed one interesting question in Stefano's email:
> Bonus point: if you think any of the above is good, how do you think we
> can decide to go for it? (chicken and egg FTW)

Specifically, how do you think we can decide to authorize NMUs for a
specific distribution-wide changeover?

Lucas