Re: [all candidates] DPL term duration

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> writes:
>
>> However, the DPL role for a single year is already a big commitment,
>> taking a lot of energy and time (typically including a lot of the time
>> that person previously spent in other areas of Debian).  Already many
>> people who would perform the role well choose not to run due to the
>> required commitment.
>
> For example, I would question whether one could do the role of DPL with a
> conventional full-time job in IT, at least if you want to keep any other
> hobbies outside of those two jobs.

I'll have to disagree here, but perhaps my idea of a conventional
full-time job in IT, or hobbies is different than yours.

> The amount of media and expected travel to represent Debian is rather
> intimidating (particularly to an introvert), as are the number of
> things that are relatively time-sensitive and require a lot of effort.

Fortunately for us, quite a lot of things one does as a software
engineer can be conveniently done in a hotel room or while travelling
too (been there, done that, didn't find it a big deal).

Also, in case one's working for a free software friendly company, going
to the same conferences one would go as DPL may very well match those
he'd attend anyway.

So, yes, travel and media do take a lot of time, but I don't think they
neccessarily conflict with having a full-time job.

> (I think mediations and helping people work together is much more
> difficult than technical work on packages.)

This, I fully agree with.