Re: mentoring programs in Debian

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 07:50:27PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 12/03/13 at 14:14 +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
..

> > This kind of mentoring "let's package this new software stack" (and create
> > a team to maintain it, when it doesn't exist) doesn't need to happen inside
> > the GSoC, it can happen already in Debian.
>
> Nothing really needs to happen inside GSoC. But GSoC provide several
> advantages:
> - there's a rigid framework (deadlines, etc) that help the student organize
>   and focus
> - the student gets paid by Google
> - the student gets to mention both Debian and Google on his CV, which is
>   probably seen positively by future recruiters.

Yeah, and also the GSoC have a huge disadvantage, it is available only to a tiny
small percentage of the population who have the privilege of getting a higher
education, then only if their school load and life responsibilities allow them
to participate in the program.

It would also be good for us to encourage our own programs to a wider and diverse
population, instead of relying exclusively on the rules set by a non-free-software
company. And assuming that students want non-free-software companies on their CV.

Your whole point here somehow seems to be against this internship idea While
you seemed to agree previously that all of these internship-like things
(GSoC, NM, team-trainee, ...) are good.

Ana