Re: to Moray: encourage teams to take interns

On 11/03/13 at 20:07 +0300, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2013-03-11 19:44, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >I see. Interesting. But in
> >https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2013/03/msg00012.html, the
> >"no
> >packaging work" rule seems to come from the Debian GSoC team, and at
> >least Sylvestre seems open to modifying it.

(Oops, I missed the fact that Sylvestre is not an admin of Debian's GSoC
for the 2013 edition.)

> It "comes from" from how they have understood the GSoC rules -- I
> would suggest you read the GSoC pages, e.g. start from
> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page
> that I mentioned before.  Besides the explicit rules, see e.g. the
> timeline in
> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#2._What_is_the_program_timeline
> which is clearly designed around regular coding projects.
>
> Or see e.g.
> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#12._Are_proposals_for_documentation_work
> which definitively rules out documentation projects.

We can try to second-guess Google's motivations for excluding
documentation to determine if it also applies to packaging, or we can
just ask, which I have done:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/google-summer-of-code-discuss/X9UmGnR6cZI

We will see :)

Lucas