Re: Comments on the constitution?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:17:22AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Thanks for re-raising this topic.  I guess --- given the amount of
> followups --- that this discussion is not particularly intriguing for
> many of us, but it still an important one to have. We won't be able to
> propose any change unless we have at least an idea of how people feel
> about this.

So, a couple of weeks later, the discussion has progressed quite a bit.

There are on the table two proposals --- one initially proposed by
Gunnar with various proposed amendments and another by Wouter. While
technically different, they both provide ways for incumbent DPLs to step
down and for the project to recall them. In both cases the needed
actions do not look socially, which is a prerequisite. I also note that,
AFAICT, both proposals do not actually increase the "fear factor" in
running for DPL mentioned in the thread, as there is an easy way out
after 1 year.

However, all that considered, I'm not going to push myself for any
change along those lines. On one hand, I'm not convinced people really
want to change the status quo. The amount of participation to the
discussion has been quite low. Also, one can argue that the extra burden
with the current system is on the incumbent DPLs when they stand for
re-election and only if there is consensus they've been doing a good
job. Given that the burden is not on the project as a whole, I can
understand why people have little motivation to move away from the
status quo that gives good guarantees of turn over, in case DPLs screw
up badly.

On the other hand, I don't think an incumbent DPL should mess up with
DPL election rules, and for sure I don't want to be the one doing
that. If none else picks this up, I might get back to this topic after
the end of the term.

Thanks everybody for this discussion. No matter what we will end up
doing, discussing our democratic mechanisms, knowing we have democratic
possibilities to act on them, is an exciting heart-warming exercise.

Cheers.