Re: Naming of non-uploading DDs (Was: GR: welcome non-packaging contributors as Debian project members)

Le Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 02:03:01PM +0100, Matthew Johnson a écrit :

> OTOH, if we pass a GR that looks like "we'll give them upload rights" (because
> it just says "they are DDs") and then they aren't given upload rights some
> people might feel upset that they voted for it. Just because it's not required
> doesn't mean it might not be a good idea to include it.

Stefano's DPL platform is actually quite clear on the subject:

  We need to generalize the lessons learned from the DM process. We have a lot of
  potential valuable contributors out there. They just need better documentation
  about how to join. They simply demand something in exchange, to be proud of,
  that acknowledges their efforts. I do not have preconceptions on the different
  ways of achieving this (e.g. ACLs vs linearly increasing privileges), but we
  need to go in that direction. In doing so, we should also relax our implicit
  assumptions that only technical abilities matter in Debian. The "best operating
  system" is mainly, not only, made of software; it is also made of translations,
  graphics, musics, etc.

  I will push for more gradual and rewarding access paths to Debian.

So if we vote for a GR that do not give a direction, it will be unsurprising
that DAM and FD will implement a ‘gradual’ access to our facilities. But the
important thing is that it will not be asked by the GR. After seeing the
results of this choice, it will always be possible to change the procedure,
especially if a later DPL is elected with a platform that goes more towards an
equal access for all DDs.

[Of course, I noticed that the GR is actually carefully worded to not decide
anything, but only to invite. Still, I think that if it contains an invitation
to not give upload access to DDs who do not maintain packages, it will be
difficult ignore it.]

I would love to vote for an amendement that invites DAM and FD to give a normal
upload access to all DDs, but they are free to decline the invitation (and it
is a good thing). I think that we need to compromise and move on, and I propose
to do so by avoiding a wording that would make it difficult to change our
choice on this subject later.

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan