Re: GR: welcome non-packaging contributors as Debian project members

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> The word "Debian Developer" seems to have become synonymous with
> those who package or write software for Debian. Whether that was
> intentional or unintentional is not known to me, but this aspect is
> what several potential contributors seem to know very well, and this
> demographic applies to enter Debian via the packaging route.
>
> While the NM process and related documentation is very clear on
> allowing non-packaging contributors, I feel that more can be done to
> encourage non-packaging contributors to take this route, and this
> step, I felt, is one in that direction.
>
> Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Very much correct.

I personally would have thought the right way to correct the public
perception that NM is not for non-packaging contributors would be to
use our (newish) publicity team or a "Bits from DAM/FD" mail on d-d-a
rather than start a GR. On the other hand, the GR has already had some
publicity:

http://lwn.net/Articles/404954/rss

--
bye,