Re: Questions for all candidates: decentralization of power

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 01:51:45PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> I'd very much like to know how _you_ think that it should be done,
> because even if I don't like the "We have to like you in order for you
> to work with us" clause, I don't think it would be productive if the
> DPL, or someone in a similar role, started appointing new members to
> the teams and forcing people that don't like each other to work
> together.

Well, in the paid employment part of my life, I have been put in
positions where I have needed to work with people I disliked, and
it is not considered professional to refuse on those grounds.
In Debian I receive bug reports from people I might dislike, but
I treat those just the same as I do from anyone else.

Would you consider it appropriate me to refuse to acknowledge
bugs or patches from anyone I consider to be a bad person?
If not, why would it be appropriate for someone to refuse to
collaborate in other ways?

We theoretically all want good things for Debian here, even
if we disagree on most of the details.  Letting groups of
people with privileged access maintain their own membership
creates a power imbalance that I believe has led to much
trouble in the past.  I think it forms cliques and
cabals, and encourages territoriality.

Do you disagree?